2.7.13

No Bake Lemon Meringue Pie.

 

A few weeks ago I was really disappointed because I couldn't produce those beautifully caramelised meringue swirls on top of my lemon tart. This week I tried a simpler lemon tart recipe because I just wanted finish off the tart quickly to focus on the meringue because I finally bought a can of gas for my blow torch.

I must say that even though the blow torch looks extremely intimidating, I'm absolutely in love with it. Granted, I do still have lots of practice to do to get that perfect golden color swirls but I'm happy with my first try, although I'm terrified of the extremely strong flame from it.

This was a no bake tart recipe and it turned out surprisingly well. It had the perfect lemony taste which was offset by the sweetness of the meringue and the buttery graham base although it looked like a dessert which required a lot of effort. 

This would definitely be a great dessert to impress your guests with if you need a last minute dessert for any party!






For the base:

150g of digestive biscuits
50g of melted butter

1. Break the biscuits into crumbs and pour in the melted butter, make sure everything is coated evenly
2. Line the crumbs onto the base of a 8 inch pan

For the lemon curd:

zest and juice of 2 lemons
100g of butter
8 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of cornflour
2 eggs

1. In a pan or pot, pour in all the ingredients and heat it up over medium heat, whisking the mixture slowly
2. Once the mixture starts to thicken, bring down the heat to a simmer and mix it slowly with a wooden spoon or spatula
3. Let the mixture thicken for another 2 mins and pour it over the biscuit base
4. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours

For the meringue:

2 egg whites 
100g of sugar
2 tsp of vanilla essence

1. Whisk the egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water until the sugar dissolves
2. Bring the pour to a mixer and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form, pour in the vanilla essence slowly
3. Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe the meringue over the lemon tart
4. Use a blow torch to caramelise the sugar or put the tart in a hot oven for a few minutes to get the same effect.



4 comments:

  1. what if you don't have a blow torch?!??!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can try placing it under a very hot grill or pop it in a very hot oven for a few minutes :)

      Delete
  2. Can I replace the corn flour and the sugar with a healthier option ? And what would you suggest to be the best option ? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lemon curd never solidified. I refrigerated it for almost 24 hours and the best I got was a thick liquid. I did substitute all purpose flour for the corn flour (I didn't have corn flour at the time) and lime for the lemon, since I'm living in Ecuador and you can't get lemons here. I used 1/2 the amount of juice and slightly less than the amount of zest called for in the recipe. I also live almost 7,000 feet above sea level, but I didn't think the altitude would affect it since it was a no bake. Any ideas on what may have caused it to be soup in a crust instead of pie?

    ReplyDelete