8.7.13

Cinnamon Sugar Mini Doughnut Muffins.


I do not understand this whole cronut frenzy.

Da Paolo is the only place in Singapore where I can get a pastry that is the closest to a cronut, here they call it the crodo (same thing!). I finally got my hands on one on Sunday morning. Paying $5 was definitely too much for a pastry, and I felt that the whole combination was too sweet and just too much for me.

I may not be trying the original, best one from New York, but from the looks and sounds of it, it can't be that different right?



I like making my own version of pastry/cakes I have tried so that I can do it my way and tune in to my tastes. I'm not a fan of doughnuts because I think they are just round pieces of fried dough... so I decided to make the next best thing - mini doughnut muffins.

They were bite sized, moist and soft with just the right amount of sweetness. Did I mention that it only takes 30 minutes to make this? With that one bite from a cronut, I could probably pop 5 of these in my mouth with the same amount of calories!






For the doughnut muffins:
5 tbsp of unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of milk, with 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar mixed in and set for 5 minutes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg powder
1. Preheat oven to 175 degree celsius
2. Light flour and brush oil onto a 24ct mini muffin pan
3. Beat and cream the egg, butter, brown and white sugar, vanilla with a paddle attachment until mixture is smooth on medium speed
4. Bring the speed down and slowly incorporate the milk mixture
5. Mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporate, do not overmix
6. Spoon the mixtures until 90% full into the muffin tin, we are looking to get them to pop up beautifully, bake it for 10 minutes before taking it out to cool
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Once the muffins are cooled down, dip them into butter before rolling them into the cinnamon/sugar mixture
2. Best to do this right before they are served as the sugar mixture melts really quickly

No comments:

Post a Comment